Friday, October 21, 2011

A River of Caring


So, uh, this one time, I had a bowl cut.
I picked other peoples flowers, because I was a jerk.
Then I saw you, with the stilts and the games,
You came over to me with some blue plums.
And life continued as normal, as it always does.
Just two of us, insignificant, and uncaring.

It wasn’t much later, we married under My Lord.
I was so bashful; never laughed.
I keep my head low, or towards the wall.
I never respond when you call to me.

By the next year, I was happy
I wanted to be part of you
Always, and forever, never ending
Why should I climb any higher?

A year later, you left.
You left for Ku-to-yen, to close to the whirlpool.
You’ve been gone for so long,
That even the monkeys cry.

It’s like you knew before you left.
The gate is s o different now, new moss has grown.
It’s too thick to clear!
Its autumn now, many leaves fall.
Butterflies everywhere and they’re yellow, because it’s August.
Just past the West garden;
Its painful to grow older.
If you ever come back,
I hope you’ll let me know before hand,
Because I will come for you
However far it may be.

As a writing exercise, it can be fun to rewrite poems that you feel deeply about. Personally, I hate "The River-Merchant's Wife: A Letter" so here I am destroying it, while maintaining the general story.


No comments:

Post a Comment